Certified Gender Affirmative Sex Therapist
IBOSP Gender Affirmative Sex Therapists are licensed, certified, or registered mental health professionals who provide psychotherapy for presenting issues related to sex and sexuality. IBOSP Certified Gender Affirmative Sex Therapists have specific, comprehensive training in transgender populations within the scope of human sexuality and sex therapy.
Who seeks Gender Affirmative Sex Therapist Certification?
Mental health professionals who focus primarily on the sexual health and well-being of individuals and couples, inclusive of transgender and gender-diverse clients. Transgender Affirmative Sex Therapist Certification applicants apply theory and methods to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of psychosocial and physical dysfunction, disability, or impairment. Services consist of sex therapy assessment, diagnosis, psychological treatment, physiological considerations, and modalities specific to transgender populations.
Why Apply for the Gender Affirmative Sex Therapist?
Certification as a Transgender Affirmative Sex Therapist provides assurance to the public that you have obtained advance training in the field and have the endorsement of an international certifying body, and allows clinicians to feel comfortable working with emerging methodologies specific to transgender clients and sex therapy practices. Certification also helps you stand out to potential employers and maximize earning potential.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
- A current IBOSP membership in good standing
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in a mental health or medical field.
- Current professional license or equivalent as an independent practitioner.
- Documentation of thirty-five (35) hours of transgender sex therapy training in transgender frameworks including foundations, principles of affirmative care, role of therapist, gender embodiment and advocacy.
- Proof of liability insurance
- Have two satisfactory colleague references completed by a licensed (or comparable) mental health or medical professional.
- Adherence to the IBOSP Code of Ethics.