Sexual Medicine Professional Certification
IBOSP Certified Sexual Medicine Practitioners are professionals in areas including medicine and other areas of healthcare (for example body-based practitioners, nursing, pelvic floor physical therapy, occupational therapy, ARNP, DO, ND, MD). Sexual Medicine Practitioners provide permission, limited information, and specific suggestions to resolve questions, concerns, and issues related to sexuality, sexual functioning, relationships, gender, and sexual orientation.
Who seeks Sexual Medicine Professional Certification?
Professionals in areas including medicine and other areas of healthcare who work with clients to address medical impact on relationships and sex. Certified Sexual Medicine Practitioners typically take a time limited and directive approach that embraces a sex positive view of presenting concerns.
Why Apply for Sexual Medicine Professional Certification?
Certification as a Sexual Medicine Practitioner provides comfort and assurance to patients and the public that you have obtained advanced training in, are knowledgeable about, and positive in your approach to sex, sexuality, and sexual health.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
- A current IBOSP membership in good standing
- A terminal degree in a medical/healthcare specialty
- A minimum of 1000 hours in not under one year of professional sexuality counseling experience.
- Documentation of 150 hours of comprehensive education in the area of human sexuality and sex therapy.
- Education needs to include a minimum of 50 hours of sex therapy specific courses and a range of topics in human sexuality (to include culture, diversity, and ethics).
- A minimum of 30 hours of supervision, by a certified supervisor, in the practice of sex therapy, treating a range of presenting issues related to sex and sexuality. OR documentation of comparable supervision or sexual healthcare experience.
- A minimum of 250 hours of supervised hours treating clients with issues related to sex and sexuality.
- Letters from supervisor(s) attesting to the completion of supervision hours.
- Proof of liability insurance